Monday, January 24, 2011

Engine, drive axles, brakes, speedo cable and wipers...

Turned out that after honing the cylinders and cleaning the pistons, when I fitted the rings the cylinders were too worn. On most engine you have to cut the rings to specs but here there are already cut. So, I have received a set of new cylinders and pistons from Dave Burnham.
Regarding the heads they were really bad, even Dave's shop thought that it would be a lot of work to repair these, so they have a set of used one to choose from (From Dave).

Here I am removing the wrist pin bushing to fit it with the new wrist pin. I made myself a tool with a 1 & 1/16" socket that works beautiful.


Done


The new cylinders are lapped on the block.



I've checked the rings with the cylinders and everything is within specs. They are on the pistons now. Thank goodness I had a set of rings, most of the rings broke during shipping.


The left side wrist pin is done.


Surprise! An extra spring was behind the crank shaft lip seal.


The 2 lip seals are on.



These are the 123 magnets that fit on the centrifugal part of the old ignition.



I have changed one stud on the engine. This one was bent. The engine is ready to be back together; I am waiting for the heads currently.


The speedometer was not working. The cable was damaged by the parking brake lever. The setting was all the way, so I had to open the brakes to see if the shoes were worn.



The right side is OK.



But the left side has a leak and the brake fluid is on the shoes.




I am waiting for a new cylinder.



I have replaced the speedo cable by a new one coming from France.


The wipers were not working. Also, the "return home" wire was broken.


I have cleaned the rotor and brushes, and the motor is running again.


I have found some masking tape under the wipers; they don't belong on this car. They are back on with masking tape but it might be a good idea to address this before they fall off.


They "go home" now; the system works.


Back together...


The brake lights did not work. This is the switch.



I've cleaned the switch and it seems that the problem was at the connector near the battery.
It is working fine now.


Here is a video showing the play of the valves in the guides.


This one shows the play on the u-joints. The left wheel bearing has also a play but not too bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment